My sister is a lover of sweets. So, at the grocery store yesterday,when we were getting ingredients for dinner, we stopped by the baking aisle as well. That’s when we saw rows and rows of brownie mixes and decided we needed to whip up some ourselves. Of course, we didn’t get the box mix, but we used it as inspiration for this idea we found on Pinterest.
So what is this exactly? Let’s take these glorious layers apart:
Rich, fudgy chocolate brownie + peanut butter topping + chopped chocolate covered pretzels + marshmallows.
If you are looking for an easier version of this recipe (that requires less effort), have no fear– you can used prepackaged chocolate covered pretzels and box brownie mix. Of course, I always say go with the homemade way. Don’t worry if you don’t cover the pretzels all the way, they will eventually be crushed up. When you are done with the whole process, store them in the fridge to keep the frosting and chocolate pretzels chilled. The peanut butter frosting is supposed to be thick and is only made of butter, peanut butter, and confectioner’s sugar. You can add the confectioner’s sugar as needed to get a good consistency.
Did I mention these are awesome? Peanut buttery goodness on top of a rich, fudgy brownie. You must try!
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Peanut Butter Brownies
Yields 20 servings(depends on how big you cut the pieces)
For the Pretzels:
- 30 unsalted mini pretzels
- 5 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
For the Brownies:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 all purpose flour
For the the Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1.5 confectioner’s sugar
- mini marshmallows
- Make the pretzels so the chocolate can cool! Melt the 5 oz of chocolate chips in the microwave in increments of 10-30 seconds on medium power. Stir after each interval until the melted chocolate it smooth. Mix in the pretzels and try to coat them evenly. Place on sheet of parchment and store in the freezer in order for the chocolate to harden.
- Next up: the brownie batter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 13×9 pan (or a smaller pan if you want thicker brownies) with cooking spray. Brown 1 stick o f butter in a small saucepan over medium to high heat. Turn the heat to low, just as the butter has brown specks and add in the chocolate to melt. Stir until the chocolate is all melted. Move the mixture into the bowl of the stand mixer and allow to cool slightly.
- Add in the sugar and stir until well incorporated. In a separate bowl, whip the eggs. Add them into the chocolate mixture, a little bit at a time. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add in the salt and flour, and mix until the mixture is evenly mixed. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out almost clean. Allow to cool completely before add the frosting.
- To make the frosting: Combine the peanut butter and butter in the stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whip the mixture until you can’t see butter pieces and it becomes a light brown color. Add in the sugar. The frosting should be thick, if it needs to be thickened, add in more sugar(up to .5 cups more).
- Once the brownies are cooled, smooth the frosting over the brownies. Coarsely chop the chocolate covered pretzels and sprinkle evenly on top of the frosting. Add on the marshmallows and place in the fridge for another 30-60 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and serve!
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction